Saturday, July 12, 2008

Still Delayed at Days Lock

The river is till running too fast for safe progress, but hope to start off on Sunday if conditions improve.

Many thanks to the support team below who have been picking up the pieces as I have moved upstream; ferrying the essential energy for human progress! One of the major frustrations we had early on was the hope that wind power might add some extra amps, especially given the conditions we have had recently. However the dynamics of generating a sensible charge from a wind turbine in a small boat are not practical. The turbine is very heavy, the current generated at a low level very fickle and the blades are dangerous! The other suggestion has been some form of water turbine to harness the flow of the river overnight - although a portable system would be impractical, it could be feasible to have charging points driven by turbines at weirs.



Seen here at Wallingford. Jonathan Brown, Hilary Manisty (long-suffering and hoping I will try The Pacific next), Clare Brown, Robin Brown, MM

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Mike
I have been following your progress from afar (Winnipeg, Canada - the place Winnie the Pooh got his name from!)

I have a question - do you have an online posting of the technical description of your craft? I admire your efforts - way to go!

MIKE MANISTY said...

Hi - can you send your email to me at mmanisty@hotmail.com and I can give you some info.

MIKE MANISTY said...

Hi - can you send your email to me at mmanisty@hotmail.com and I can give you some info.