Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Day 6 - 7 miles - 91 to go

Windsor to Cookham

A lovely day to cruise the Thames, especially without all the weekend traffic. I had Boulters Lock near Maidenhead to myself and then a gentle transit past Cliveden. A 'chance' meeting with Alan Lindfield (Alan took the ultimate risk in accompanying me on the pre launch test day past Westminster) for lunch at Maidenhead ensured that the onset of scurvy was prevented.

A technical setback was the failure of one engine, which may need to be replaced as a repair could take a week and cost much more than the £180 for a new one. It would also be helpful to have some spares. On the other hand batteries are being restored by good qualtities of sunshine, with more on offer today.

Ian and Sylvia Rutter came to meet me at the exit from Cookham Lock in their electric launch. Ian I found is a total expert on all things related to electric boats and my regret is that I did not plunder his know-how before I designed my fit-out. Sylvia edits the excellent magazine published by the flourishing Electric Boat Association - http://www.electric-boat-association.org.uk/. Drinks and dinner at The Ferry Inn removed any trace of malnutrition.

Target is Marlow for this evening, hoping that batteries will be fully charged for the terror of Henley on Wednesday!

The following appeared in the Evening Standard on Monday evening.
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23503086-details/Solar-powered+civil+servant+sails+the+Thames/article.do

Also this link can be used to see where I am at any time (as long as I have my mobile phone on).
http://live.alk.com/login.aspx?InviteCode=83298878040414&Language=en-US&Email=Mmanisty@hotmail.com

View from the Bedroom


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mike

According to your Sat Nav you should be hearing a grinding noise from the keel as you are on the A4.

I still say my RIB would have got you there sooner.

Nigel